What is Anal Fissure?
Anal Fissure can be defined as a tear in the anus or anal canal wall (A visible crack in the skin around the anus). It may occur while releasing hard stools. An Anal fissure can cause severe pain and bleeding during and after defecations, Bright red blood on the stool or toilet paper after a bowel movement , Pain after bowel movements that can last up to several hours. Anal Itching , difficulty in sitting, sensation of something piercing , persistent feeling of blockage of anal canal.
The patient may experience dizziness and sweating when the pain becomes too severe while passing the stools. Most tears heal on their own within 3-4 weeks with normal Fissure Treatment at home. However, in extreme cases, Anal Fissure Surgery is recommended. Kindly contact a Qualified General Surgeon to get started with your treatment.
Anal Fissure Surgery: Post-Op Precautions & Care
For Treating Fissures, the doctor might suggest the patient for Closed Lateral Sphincterotomy or Laser Sphincterotomy (Fissure Laser Surgery) when the patient does not respond to conservative treatment.
The pain associated with Internal sphincterotomy normally subsides after a few days. Initially, you may experience pain with bowel movements. Laser treatment for fissures, on the other hand, is a painless technique that involves no cuts or stitches. Dr. S.N.Baser of Harsh Hospital, Surat is an Anal Fissure Specialist with (20) years of experience. Contact us today to get more details on Fissure Treatment.
Fissure Surgery Precautions
Here are a few precautions that you must take after Fissure Surgery :-
- Apply Lotions or Creams as directed by your doctor on regular basis.
- Take your Pain Relievers as prescribed by your doctor.
- After each Bowel movement, thoroughly clean the area and pat it dry.
- The Painkillers may cause constipation, adding fuel to the fire. As long as you’re taking pain relievers, you should take a stool softener.
- Bath with hot water and soak for 8-10 minutes three to four times per day (Sitz bath). This is a highly used method of reducing swelling and pain before and after surgery.
- If you have not been able to urinate in 6-8 hours, give yourself a warm water bath for 15-20 minutes and urinate in the bath. Contact a doctor if you remain unable to urinate.
- After taking a bath, dry the rectal area gently with a towel. Moisture causes the wound to heal more slowly.
- Don’t worry if you have some bleeding, discharge, or itching during your recovery. This is normal. Contact doctor if symptoms worsens.
- If you have headache , Vomitting, Neck pain after surgery , take bed rest and take extra salted liquids or drinks.If symptoms worsens consult your doctor.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 1 week after your procedure.
- You should have a bowel movement at least every other day. If 2 days pass without a bowel movement contact your doctor immediately.
- Eat a regular high fiber including plenty of fresh fruit (minimum 2 bowl a day) and green vegetables (minimum 1 bowl a day). Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.
- Avoid constipation and prolong sitting while passing stool.
Fissure Surgery Care
Follow these tips post-Anal Fissure Surgery for a quick recovery:
- Drink plenty of Water
- Avoid Caffeinated Drinks
- Focus on eating Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Avoid Spicy food.
- Do not sit in the same position for long periods of time. Continue to move and be active.
- Return to work only after consulting with your surgeon.
- It is not safe to drive a vehicle after taking your medication.
- Do not try an enema unless your doctor recommends it.
- Exercise only if your doctor suggests it, and prevent unnecessary strenuous activities for a while.
- Slight blood flow is common after each bowel motion following surgery; however, excessive or prolonged bleeding is not. If this occurs, contact your surgeon.
Fissures can form as a result of a hard bowel movement or any other type of trauma. To avoid such problems, it is critical to understand that you must make changes in lifestyle that also include good bowel movements and an active lifestyle. Include natural remedies for a good healthy diet that includes plenty of fibre, no junk food, and plenty of water in your routine.